The Codman Square Neighborhood Council and Friends of the Park have spent many years working to improve Cronin / Wainwright Park, now Dr. Loesch Family Park. We have organized annual Boston Shines (Love Your Block) events, serve-a-thons with City Year, park assessments with the BOLD Teens and supported the St. Mark’s events in the park. Despite these efforts, the park remained in need of major renovations.
Subsequently, we gathered signatures for our petition to renovate the park and held countless meetings to asses residents concerns with the parks. Ultimately, we were able to secure the necessary funds for capital improvements of this park.
Park Improvement Information
1. The park was funded by the City’s capital improvements budget and a PARC grant.
2. The construction budget for the park was $925,000.
3. The construction was complete in June 2012.
Learn about cameras in the park!
Click here for Cronin Mtg Notes #1
Click here for Cronin Mtg Notes #2
Click here for Cronin Mtg Notes #3
Click below for news regarding the improvements:
- City withholds payment of contractor from Wainwright Park: February 22, 2012
- Boston Parks Commission Renames Cronin/Wainwright Park: January 30, 2012
- Dorchester Reporter 2/3/2011, boston.com 2/1/2011 and Dorchester Reporter 12.1.2011
Improvements include: 15 park benches from 3, 1 fountain remains, 2 basketball courts from 1 (one can be used for volleyball and tennis), 5 entrances with trash receptacles at each from 4, 4 bike racks from 0, a multi purpose field for soccer, baseball and kickball, increased passive walking paths and sitting areas, increased greens space and plans for more, a 3 foot attractive iron fence and acorn lighting in the park.
Cronin / Wainwright History: click the links below to read articles from the past.