Posting Date: November 2015 Email: email@example.com
Position: Full Time (40+ hrs/wk) To Apply: E-mail resume and cover letter
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
About Daily Table:
Daily Table is a nonprofit grocery food store which seeks to transform how groceries are supplied in America’s inner cities and alleviate obstacles to inner-city health and nutrition by providing fresh produce and other high-quality foods to the urban marketplace at a fraction of the typical prices. Founded by former Trader Joe’s President, Doug Rauch, Daily Table creates a retail environment that utilizes excess wholesome, healthy food items to create grab-n-go meals and grocery items at affordable prices. By fostering a strategic network of growers, supermarkets, manufacturers, and other suppliers, Daily Table is helping to address the paradoxical issues of domestic hunger and obesity in America’s inner cities.
Since the launch of our first store in June 2015 (Dorchester / Boston, MA) we have quickly grown a loyal membership base of 7,000+ and continue to adapt and evolve as we grow with the community around us. We’re incredibly excited for the future of Daily Table and look forward to having more equally passionate and hardworking team members join our crew!
Daily Table is looking for a Store Manager who will run the day-to-day operations of the store. The Store Manager will be an exceptional leader who will bring strong management and retail operations experience as well as foster a collaborative work environment and promote teamwork. This person will assist in further growing the vision of Daily Table and help reach the overall goal of affordable nutrition in the inner city while educating and providing access to affordable, high-quality fresh foods. As a critical component of the role, the Store Manager will play a key part in development of critical operational procedures to help codify best practices and improve overall efficiencies of the organization.
Qualified candidates will have an entrepreneurial ‘can do’ spirit, with several successful years in retail store management and who will understand the grocery store model. The Store Manager will serve as a leader of the store staff, and oversee critical operations of the store including: personnel management, supply chain management, merchandising, security and results reporting (to the founder and executive director). The ideal candidate will share the vision of the founder and have a passion for creating a positive, scalable, and sustainable impact in low to moderate income urban neighborhoods.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a management role in an innovative start-up environment, the Store Manager will serve a multi-faceted function that combines daily running of the retail store with the development and active management of operational protocols and all of its supporting components. On a day-to-day basis, the Store Manager will have responsibilities, such as:
- Be responsible for all aspects of the store’s operation, including its financial results (with Executive Director/ founder oversight)
- Ensure that all image, customer service, security, human resources, and health guidelines are met
- Work to create a positive store culture of excellence, delivering outstanding customer experiences while supporting a strong efficient workplace built upon meritocracy and care
- Oversee the day-to-day processes that are carried out in the store
- Think and act entrepreneurially to preempt challenges and take advantage of opportunities that will further Daily Table’s mission
- Manage relationships with key community stakeholders, including: customers, employees and suppliers
Merchandising and Logistics
- Organize and oversee with the our buyer the supply chain of goods from supplier, transportation to the store, storage and stocking, and sale to the customer
- Manage product inventory to forecast where shortages and overstock may be and adjust accordingly
- Understand product and selling trends to strategically initiate sale or discount pricing on select items
- Conduct in-store training, and employee development for optimum utilization of personnel
- Maintains store staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Conduct regular performance evaluations of staff
- Note: Hiring/Firing responsibilities will be heavily influenced by the Store Manager in conjunction with input and execution by the Executive Director
- Ensure all equipment is operating properly, i.e. refrigerators, freezers, cash registers, lighting
- Address emergencies and issues with a sense of urgency to ensure the smooth operation and customer experience in the store
- Conduct store tours to evaluate store conditions and adjust accordingly
- Bachelor’s degree desired, professional or Master’s degree a plus
- At least 3 years of managerial experience working in and running several aspects of a multi-department grocery, retail or food-service business
- A strong understanding of both “front” and “back of house” operations. Experience in kitchen and food preparation operations is highly desirable
- Flexible, adaptable, and customer-focused, with a commitment to high standards of food, service, and operation
- Strong managerial and leadership skills, with experience in training, developing, and coaching staff at all levels
- Ability to communicate and provide effective service to customers who come from a range of diverse communities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to grow and develop relationships with various stakeholders, including: community members, suppliers, donors, and city officials
- Possess excellent basic math skills and have the ability to operate a cash register or POS system
- Demonstrate proficiency with scheduling, retail front-end/office management, ordering, inventory management, payroll administration, P&L analysis, project management, and human resource management
- Ability and willingness to use the core Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) at a basic/intermediate level is required (often used for management communications)
- Must be able and willing to work beyond store hours to ensure smooth operation
- Must be able to perform physical demands, such as; standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50lbs
Daily Table is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.